Do you wonder why is Windows 10 so slow though it is expected to be very fast? If so, you are not alone at all. There are plenty of other Windows users who experience the same issue, just like you. In this article, we will explain the reasons why Windows 10 slow and practical solutions to it.
So far, Windows has offered several updates, and with each of those updates, they introduced various new features. As a result of these updates, Windows has become an exceptionally user-friendly operating system. With Windows 10 update, we expected a powerful, smooth operating system because most of us didn’t like Windows 8. The truth is that Windows 10 actually show significant success, but it is not 100% perfect as expected.
The issues pertaining to Windows 10 vary from intense data collection procedures to highly impactful updates. These issues are criticized by many users, including professional reviewers as well as everyday users. It is true that Windows 10 comes with an impressively sleek layout and various additional features. However, despite all those novelties, many individuals wonder why is Windows 10 so slow. Although Windows 10 is supposed to boot pretty fast, many of those PCs can take considerable time to start. In addition to that, you can experience applications that run in a slow manner. However, you don’t want to agonize about yourself because you are not alone in this case.
We have composed this article in view of explaining to you the reasons behind a slow Windows 10 computer. In addition to that, we explain practical solutions to address such issues. So, you may keep reading if you are annoyed with a slow-performing Windows computer.
Reasons why is Windows 10 so slow?
There can be several possible reasons for the Windows 10 operating system to run very slow. In this section of our article, let’s take a look at those reasons.
01. There are too many startup programs so the Windows 10 slow
Do you notice that your PC taking too long to get started up or even get frozen during boot? If so, that can happen mainly because of too many startup programs. In order to fix this issue, you should disable those extra applications that impact on the startup.
- First of all, hit the ‘Windows‘ key and ‘X‘ key simultaneously. This will open up the Quick Link menu. You should click on ‘Task Manager‘ from this menu.
- Once the task manager is opened, you will be able to see several tabs on it. Click on the tab labeled ‘Startup.’
- Now, you can look through the list of programs that are placed under startup. Then, you will be able to find the programs that you don’t need any more on the startup menu. To your surprise, you will find many programs on this list if you check it after a long time. After finding the programs that you don’t need anymore, you should right-click on it. Then, you will see a popup menu in which the option ‘Disable‘ is placed. You should repeat these steps for all the programs that might eat up the performance of your computer.
Also, here, you will learn more about how to fix COM Surrogate Has Stopped Working effortlessly.
02. Because of corrupted Windows System files
You can see that Windows 10 slow if you have driver errors, blue screen, black screen, etc. Such issues can create severe impacts on the performance of your PC. Mentioned below are the steps you should take to fix such a situation.
If Windows 10 very slow and unresponsive due to driver errors or erroneous system files, here’s the fix. To do this, you can first try built-in tools offered by the Windows operating system itself. The first tool is the Deployment Image Service and Management Tool, which is also known as DISM. The second option to try is System File Checker (which is known as SFC). Mentioned below are the steps to follow when using these tools.
- First, you should type the text ‘PowerShell‘ in the Windows search bar. Then, press the enter key on the keyboard. Once prompted, you should right-click on the desktop app and choose to Run as Administrator.
- Now, you should see the command-line interface. In this, enter the text dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth. You can do this in the window which is already appeared. Now, hit the ‘Enter‘ key on the keyboard. As a result, you will see that the DISM tool is starting to find corrupted files. Also, it will replace those corrupted files.
- First, you should open ‘PowerShell‘ from the Windows search bar just like you did in the previous step. Also, make sure that you run it as an administrator.
- Now, type the text ‘sfc/scannow‘ in the search bar and hit ‘Enter‘ key on the keyboard.
This process will start replacing the corrupted files, and eventually, it will repair the PC. When the process is completed, you will have to restart the PC. If your Windows 10 very slow and unresponsive due to corrupted files, this should fix it. As a result, the respective PC should run in a very smooth manner and with better performance.
03. You have opened too many programs at once
In fact, this can be a no brainer for many users. As a result of running many programs at once, your computer will not be able to handle the work. For instance, if you have a very powerful computer with a high-end configuration, you will not notice much disturbance. But, if you have a computer with average performance, you may notice a significant loss in performance. In a nutshell, getting rid of the running programs will help computers to run faster. So, to make sure, you should check the task manager.
As a result, your computer will perform very slow browsing speed, and applications take too long to be loaded. Also, the application screen may frequently freeze if your computer suffers from this issue.
Fixing this issue can be done simply by closing down the applications that aren’t required any longer. To do that, you can use the task manager.
- First of all, you should type in the text ‘task manager‘ on the Windows Search bar. Then, you should get it opened.
- As the second step, you should see that there is a list of programs that run currently. Also, this window shows the amount of memory consumed by the respective programs that are running. As a result, you can easily identify the most impactful programs on the computer. You can even sort the programs out by used memory by clicking on the memory column.
- Now, right-click on the respective program and choose ‘End Task.’
- Apart from that, you should also close all the extra tabs on the browser and quit background applications. This process will enable you to free up the RAM and allow your PC to perform smoothly. Also, it will reduce CPU bandwidth as well.
04. Hyperactive antivirus program so the Windows 10 slow
Many of those who wonder why is Windows 10 so slow may have hyperactive antivirus programs. Although it is a good approach to have an antivirus program, it can be troublesome at some times. When your antivirus program is extremely active, it will create an impact on your PCs performance.
In order to fix it, you will have to change the settings of your antivirus program. The process can slightly differ depending on the type of antivirus program used. Anyway, below is a general guide to change the settings of the antivirus program.
- Launch your antivirus program (either through the taskbar or start menu of your PC).
- Then, go to the ‘Settings‘ option and click on ‘Scan Schedule.’ After that, you should choose a scan process that doesn’t impact on your PC.
- You can change the time as well as the data of the scan and reschedule it. Also, you can change the frequency of scanning.
05. If your hard drive is running out of space
Do you notice that your PC is running incredibly slow (probably at half of its normal speed)? If so, you must check the hard drive of your computer and see if it has enough space. If your hard drive is almost full (more than 95% of its capacity), your computer will surely become slower. When there is not enough space for temporary files, you will see a significant performance drop. To fix this issue, you will have to clean up your hard disk without waiting. In most of the cases, you can free up a considerable amount of space by deleting unnecessary files. Mentioned below are the steps to do so.
- As the first step, open Windows Explorer.
- Then, you should browse for folders that might be filled with various types of data. In this case, folders like ‘Temporary Files,’ ‘Apps & Games‘, etc.
- Open up those folders and then delete the subfolders and files that have larger files.
06. Your PC’s Power Plan cause Windows 10 slow
Do you experience an impressive battery life from your laptop, but it doesn’t work as expected? If so, it can be related to the battery plan of your laptop, and it can be fixable. To fix it, you should simply change the settings of the battery plan. If the battery plan is set to ‘Battery Saver’ or ‘Recommended,’ you may have to change it. Here’s how to do it.
- In your Windows 10 search bar, type the text Power Options. Then, go to ‘Edit Power Plan‘ which is located in the Control Panel.
- Click on the option called ‘Change Advanced Power Settings.’
- Choose the option called ‘High Performance‘ and hit OK.
- Now, this option will boost PC performance. However, you will experience a notably low battery life as a result.
Other solutions to try if Windows 10 very slow and unresponsive
Here are some other solutions to try.
Use Windows Troubleshooter if Windows 10 very slow and unresponsive
- Go to ‘Control Panel,’ ‘System and Security‘ and select ‘Security and Maintenance‘ option.
- Click on ‘Start Maintenance‘ located under ‘Maintenance.’
Use Performance Monitor if Windows 10 very slow and unresponsive
- Go to Windows Search Box and type ‘perfmon/report.’
- Hit ‘Enter.’
This will give you a complete report mentioning the issues that affect your PCs performance.
If you have further queries related to ‘Windows 10 slow‘ issue, please leave us a comment.