Many people think that they will have to purchase the hardware in order to be able to practice PLC development. That’s not true, actually. All you need to have is just an emulator to get started with your practice work. There are some tools like RSLogix 500, RSLogix 500 Emulate, RSLinx, etc. with the use of which the practice of PLC programming is possible.
But when it comes to the RSLogix 500 download or the download of other similar programs, it is not so easy to find the correct files to download. The reason behind this is that the process provided by Rockwell Automation for accessing such files is too complicated. Here I am just talking about Rockwell Automation and not about any third party site because it is very well known how risky and unsafe it may be for one to download these tools from a third-party site. There may be the issues of viruses, as well as the issue of ending up with a corrupted version of the software if you go for a third-party site rather than the official site. I hope you are getting my point.
So now, the question is how you can securely download these tools free of cost from their original and trusted source (Rockwell Automation). Don’t worry; you have landed here on the right page. You are going to get the ultimate solution here. Just keep reading until the end.
Process Of Downloading RSLogix 500, RSLogix 500 Emulate & RSLinx
Whenever there is a need to download any software developed by Rockwell Automation, you should make use of the Rockwell Compatibility Tool. Rockwell Compatibility (https://compatibility.rockwellautomation.com/) is a website specially dedicated to the downloads of such software developed by Rockwell Automation.
There is no doubt that most such software is the licensed ones. It simply means that you will need to purchase the license if you go for a standard version of RSLogix 500. But there is still a free solution: “RSLogix Micro.” RSLogix Micro is a lite version of the software, and you will not have to purchase its license. That simply means you will not have to pay anything for this version of the software. Just follow the steps mentioned below in order to be able to download it successfully:
Step-1: Go To Rockwell Compatibility
First, go to the Rockwell Compatibility site https://compatibility.rockwellautomation.com/.
Step-2: Search For “RSLogix Micro”
In the search bar provided on the website, just type RSLogix Micro. As soon as you type this name in the box, it will show you the related results to choose from. Select the “RSLogix Micro Starter Lite w/o RSLinx EN (8.30.00)” from the suggestions offered to you and press the search icon to run a search for it.
Step-3: Select the “Download” Button
Once you press the search icon, it will take you to a new page. On that page, you will be allowed to select one out of the two options: “Download” and “Add To Download Cart.” It is recommended to go for the “Download” button. That’s because if you select the second option, you will not end up downloading the required tools. Rather a different tool will be downloaded with this option.
Step-4: Select The Required Version
On the next page, you will have to select the version of the software which you want to download. Just hit the “+” symbol in order to expand the list of the various versions that are available for download. As soon as you hit this “+” button, it will show you the list. From the list of available versions of the tool, select the v11.
Step-5: Hit The Download Icon
Once you have located the correct version (as mentioned above) to be downloaded, it is the time to proceed for the selection of required tools like RSLogix Emulate & RSLinx. Just hit the Download icon or symbol. As soon as you hit the download icon or button, a new pop up window will immediately appear in front of you.
Step-6: Select Other Required Tools
In the pop-up window, you are offered a list of some other related or add-on tools to choose from. From that list, select other required tools: “RSLogix Emulate 500 6.00.00” and “RSLinx Classic Lite for MicroLogix.”
Step-7: Start Downloading The Tools
For finally starting the downloading process, you will need to be having the login details or credentials. For this, you will be prompted to create an account on the website. Once it is created, log in to the account and choose the preferred way of downloading. Choosing the “Managed Download” will be the best decision. Once you end up downloading the three above mentioned tools, you are ready to get into the PLC programming. And that’s it!
Advantages of Using The Free Version of RSLogix 500, RSLogix 500 Emulate & RSLinx
Now that you have finally downloaded the free version of the tool, you may be interested in knowing the advantages of this free RSLogix 500 download. Hence I have listed below the most important advantages for you to go through:
- It will help you in improving your productivity, which is actually a great thing.
- You will be able to learn to program in the RSLogix software.
- The free version will also help you learn the RSLogix Emulate 500.
- It also makes it possible for you to learn the RSLinx.
- The features and functionalities offered by the tool are very powerful and time-saving.
- Your time savings will be improved with the use of this free tool.
- With the use of this free version, your troubleshooting capabilities will be improved too.
- It will also help you improve your Diagnostic capabilities.
- It offers flexibility and eases to use as well.
- And, you will also end up having the value of your investment improved very much.
Getting Started With RSLogix 500 Free Version
Once you have downloaded the RSLogix free version, extract it. After finishing the extraction, first, install the RSLogix Micro, and then RSLinx Classic Lite, followed by the installation of RSLogix 500 Emulate. Once the installation process is complete, follow the instructions given below in order to get started with the tools:
Start With RSLinx
Actually, RSLinx is a tool with the use of which RSLogix makes communication with PLC. For accessing this tool on your computer, first, go to the “START” button. Then navigate to “All Programs“>>”Rockwell Software.” From there, you should go to “RSLinx” and then “RSLinx Classic Shortcut.” Once you are there, follow the steps mentioned below for making the setup:
- Navigate to the “Configure Driver” option, which is available in the “Communication” menu. Select this option.
- Choose the “SLC 500 (DH485) Emulator driver” and hit the “Add New” button.
- Click on the “OK” button
- Then close the dialogue box of “Configure Driver.”
- Close the RSLinx as well. Now it’s running, and that’s it.
Start With RSLogix Micro Starter Lite
For accessing the RSLogix Micro Starter Lite, first, go to “START” and then “All Programs.” From there, you should go to the “Rockwell Software” and then “RSLogix Micro English.” Finally, from there, select the “RS Logix Micro English Shortcut.” Once you are there, follow the steps mentioned below for proceeding:
- First, go to the “File” menu and select the “New” option from there in order to start a new project.
- Select a designated process. And then hit the “OK” button.
- Once you hit the “OK” button, a new blank project will open up in front of you. Now you can perform what you want to perform in order to complete this project.
- Now it is time to verify the project you have created. Just go to the “Edit” menu and select the “Verify Project” option from the menu.
- Once you have selected the “Verify Project” option, it will verify and compile your project. And, after compiling, it will make the project ready for your emulator.
- The last step is to save the newly created project on a drive on your computer. The project will be saved with the “.RSS” extension name. And, that’s it.
Start With RSLogix Emulator
In order to get started with the RSLogix Emulator, first, go to the “START” button and then “All Programs.” From there, navigate to “Rockwell Software,” and then you should go for “RSLogix Emulate 500“. And, then go to “RSLogix Emulate 500 Shortcut“. Once you are there, follow the steps mentioned below for proceeding:
- First, go to the “File” menu and select the “Open” option from the menu.
- Now select & open the project that you have recently created and saved.
- In the dialogue box that appears in front of you, just enter 1 in the field for the “Station #.” After entering this value for the “Station #,” just hit the “OK” button, and the dialogue box will disappear.
- Now it is ready and running. That’s it and you are done with it.
It has been generally seen that the problem of not having the required software is the main reason for most people not being able to get started with the learning of PLC programming. It may be the case with you also. Hence, with the use of free RSLogix 500 Download, as mentioned above, it becomes easy for you to get into it. But keep in mind that Micrologix 1000 and Micrologix 1100 are the only types of processors that you can program with this free version of RSLogix 500.