MPEG4 and MP4 are very common formats in video files world. If you download a movie from the internet, there is a good chance for it to be MPEG4 or MP4. Well, so many individuals wonder what the best of those two file formats is, and that’s natural. When you have two options, you are likely to check for their details to determine the best option. To help you out in this case, we have written this comparison between MPEG4 VS. MP4.
With this article, we will compare the main differences between MPEG4 VS. MP4 for your convenience. After reading this, you will be able to know each option’s characteristics and decide what suits your purpose.
Some quick facts about MPEG4 VS. MP4
To give you a quick idea about these two file formats, we have composed a list of quick facts. Mentioned below is that list for your reference.
MPEG4 VS. MP4
- MPEG4 and MP4 are different file formats (they are not similar to each other).
- MPEG4 is not the long version of the MP4 file format.
- MP4 is not limited to audio files and music. There are MP4 video files as well.
- MP4 files are compatible with any device, including mobile devices, PC, laptops, tabs, etc. That means they are not limited to mobile devices only.
When it comes to an MP4, it is basically a file extension for video files. You can refer MP4 to a video file extension. However, MPEG4 files cannot be considered as a video file extension. It is true that there are other notable differences between these two file formats. In order to track these differences down, you should have a basic idea about these files. In fact, there are two basic terms for you to know so you can figure out the differences. Regarding to the best MP4 iD3 Tag Editor and MP4 Video Repair, as well as MP4 VS. MOV, these are just for you.
Media Container is a bundle that comprises of a Video Format and Audio Format with subtitles. Video format and audio format are known as video codec and audio format as well.
In other words, it can put into a formula as well.
Media Container = video codec + audio codec + subtitle
To identify the key differences between MP4 and MPEG4, you can apply the above formula to MPEG4 VS. MP4.
- MP4 (Video Container) = MP4 video codec (.mpeg/.h264) + audio codec (MP3, AAC etc.) + Subtitles
- AVI (Video Container) = MP4 video codec (.mpeg/.h264) + audio codec (MP3, AAC etc.) + Subtitles
- MKV (Video Container) = MP4 video codec (.mpeg/.h264) + audio codec (MP3, AAC etc.) + Subtitles
MPEG4 VS. MP4 – the key differences
Now let’s read the key differences between MPEG4 VS. MP4.
01. The definition of the file formats
When it comes to the defining factor, MP4 is considered as a video file extension. This is, in fact, is a container format which is used to store video and audio data. In addition to that, it saves video format MPEG-4 (video codec). It is a popular compression method of the MPEG group. This format becomes very handy, particularly for low-bandwidth internet connections.
02. Container Formats for MPEG-4
There are other media container formats (exclusive of MP4) that are compatible with MPEG-4 video encoding. For instance, it can be used for AVI, QuickTime, Matroska, Ogg, and MXF.
03. MP4-compatible devices
Pretty much all the devices in use today are compatible with the file format MP4 (MPEG4). However, there are very few players that don’t support MPEG4 completely. As a result, if you paly .mts file in RealPlayer on an iPhone, you will see ‘Unknown Video File.’ Is there a way to fix it? Well, iPhones are compatible with MP4, M4V, and MOV videos. To make a video fully compatible with an iPhone, you should reencode the respective video. That means you should convert MTS files into video formats into a compatible version using a video converter.
Reasons to convert MPEG4 to MP4
It is not that difficult for our readers to assume that MPEG4 is for generating different formats. For instance, it can be used to create formats like AVI, MPEG4+, etc. and other codecs. Therefore, if you find that your device or player isn’t compatible with a certain file, a converter is required. With that converter, you will be able to convert MPEG4 to MP4.
As you may realize, the majority of the media players are compatible with MPEG format. However, some players like RealPlayer is not fully compatible with this video file format. For instance, you cannot play an MTS file on an iPhone using RealPlayer video player. So, to make the respective file compatible with RealPlayer, you will have to seek the assistance of a converter.
What is the best software to convert MPEG4 to MP4?
So far in this MPEG4 VS. MP4 comparison, you have learned a lot about these file formats. With that said, do you want to know what the best software to convert MPEG4 to MP4 is? If so, keep reading this section as well.
We have come across a large number of software tools to convert MPEG4 to MP4. However, not all those tools are as good as they claim. Therefore, selecting the best software out of the rest can be a challenging task for you. But we have researched on behalf of you and ended up with a superb tool. This is called Wondershare UniConverter (which is formally known as Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate).
By using a software like Wondershare UniConverter, you will be able to convert an MPEG4 file into MP4 conveniently. This is professional software that comes with a highly simplified interface. This software is developed to be compatible with a massive range of file formats. The interface of this software is very simple. Getting a video file converted into a different format can be done with a couple of clicks with this.
One of the best things about Wondershare UniConverter is that is doesn’t cause any quality loss during the conversion. Also, it is capable of processing multiple files at once as batch processing of videos. It is needless to mention how effective such an approach is when you have a large number of files to convert. In addition to that, you will find a large number of features included in this software. For your convenience, we will list down all the key features associated with Wondershare UniConverter.
Features of Wondershare UniConverter
- This software comes with a special technology called APEXTRANS to offer an excellent speed. In fact, it offers a 30X better speed compared to other competitors.
- It comes with the batch processing feature so you can convert multiple files simultaneously. This is a great time-saving feature for its users.
- It lets you download videos from more than 10,000 video sharing sites (including YouTube).
- Apart from downloading, it offers you the option of recording videos as well.
- Downloaded or recorded videos can be converted into any standard format without any hassle.
- You can use this software to convert files to be compatible with various devices (by using presets).
- It allows you to edit videos with a large range of features and tools.
- You can trim, crop, merge, rotate and perform other essential tasks using Wondershare UniConverter.
- This tool works as a DVD toolkit as well. That is because it offers features such as DVD conversion, DVD Backups, DVD editing, etc. It also lets you burn and create a DVD.
- You can use it to stream media files that are available on your PC. This streaming can be done using your standard or smart TV unit.
- Wondershare UniConverter supports both Windows and Mac operating systems.
How to convert an MPEG4 file into MP4 using WonderShare UniConverter
Now that you have learned the features associated with UniConverter. Let’s learn how to use it. Listed below are the steps you should follow in order to convert MPEG4 file to MP4.
- 01. As the first step, you should launch the option called Wondershare UniConverter on your computer. Remember that this software was formally known as Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate. Once the software is launched, you should load the respective MPEG4 file which is to be converted.
- 02. To add the respective MPEG4 file, you should go to the main interface of the software. Then, click on the option called ‘Add Files‘ and then browse for the respective MPEG4 file. You will then see that the respective MPEG file is added into the interface of the software.
- 03. Now, as the next step, you should define the output file format of the file. That means you should define to which format the MPEG4 will be converted into. In this case, you should choose MP4 as the output format. To do this, you should follow the steps mentioned below.
- On the panel located toward the right-hand side, there is an icon shaped like an inverted triangle. This is located next to ‘Convert all files to‘ option.
- Then, you should select the Video option and select MP4. Make sure that you select the resolution value as well at this stage to proceed.
- As the final step, you should click on ‘Convert.’ This step will initiate the conversion process.
- Now, the selected file will be converted to MP4.
Now, whenever you want to convert an MPEG4 file to an MP4, UniConverter is an ideal option. As mentioned before, the most notable advantages associated with this tool are convenience and simplicity. Also, it doesn’t cause any quality loss of the original video upon conversion of the file.
Conclusion on MPEG4 VS. MP4
Well, that’s our analysis on MPEG4 VS. MP4. Both of these terms are used in the world of video, and we have provided a good explanation. There are some instances where MPEG4 becomes incompatible with some devices (such as iOS devices). In that case, you will have to convert MPEG4 into a more compatible version (for instance, MP4). To make such conversion possible, you must use a converter.
And, as mentioned in the article, finding a good convertor is not that easy. However, we have done the hard work for you and ended up with a tool called Wondershare UniConverter. It was formally known as Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate. This tool comprises of a large number of features so you can do many things other than converting videos. For instance, it even has a DVD toolkit too. All in all, Wondershare UniConverter is a superb tool with handy features. So, you may give it a try if you have any conversion requirements.
If you have any doubts about this MPEG4 VS. MP4 comparison, please let us know. We are excited to know your honest feedback about this comparison. In fact, your feedback is immensely helpful for the growth of our database.
In addition, you will get to know how to compress MP4 videos here.