In this article, we intend to discuss the occurrence of GPT protective partition and how to remove it. The information we cover here would be handy to any PC user in the future. So, if you are a Windows user, keep reading this article.
It is undoubtedly that the computer has become the most popular and most useful single device in the modern-day world. Almost all the aspects we use today have the influence of the computer systems of different capacities. In a nutshell, we cannot imagine a world without computers today. Computers help in various instances from ordering a pizza to controlling a space station. In fact, the computer can be called the most versatile device in this world. Maybe, it is the most influential machine created by humans so far. Now that computers have become so popular, pretty much every individual owns a computer.
Computers run on different platforms (operating systems). Windows, Mac, and Linux are the most popular operating systems that run on computers as of today. In general, Windows is considered to be a very friendly operating system that has plenty of features. Nevertheless, there can be some issues with this operating system at least an occasional basis. In the real world, there is no 100% perfect operating system. So, as Windows users, it is important to be aware of working principles and basics of operating systems. That means, we believe that every user should know how to tackle at least the basic errors that arise.
The truth is that there are some instructions and guides available on the internet to solve computer-related issues. However, if you intend to rectify a certain error, it is compulsory to follow the steps carefully. If not, solving the issues will not be possible. Well, in this article, we intend to discuss the GPT protective partition errors and solutions. So, if you were looking for that, this is the article you must read on.
An introduction to GPT protective partition error
The hard disk is your computer’s storage device. In a hard disk, the computer stores data permanently (until you delete them or something happens to them). Whenever the computer restarts, the data stored will be retrieved from it. As of today, you can find hard disks of massive capacities. In addition to that, you can find external hard disks as well.
One of the most annoying issues linked with hard disks is that they get inaccessible occasionally. There can be various reasons behind this issue, and you may experience this issue with any Windows version. After noticing that the hard drive is not working, many users tend to open disk management. If you do the same once your hard drive is inaccessible, you should see the text ‘GPT protective partition‘. If you right-click on the respective drive, you will see a popup menu. However, none of the options in the popup menu will be accessible. In addition to that, it doesn’t allow you to repartition or format the same drive. In other words, at this stage, all of the options related to the respective hard disk has become unavailable.
It is needless to mention how annoying things are when you cannot access one of your hard drives. You will feel so helpless and become exceptionally frustrated when your files are not available to work with. What about the files on the hard disk? Can’t you access them anymore? Does that mean all of those files are gone forever?
Some individuals don’t have very important data on the troublesome hard drive. If that is the case with you, you may think of formatting the hard drive and repair it. However, when GPT protective partition error is persisting, you cannot even format the hard drive. In other words, you cannot think of overcoming the issue until you fix GPT protective partition error. So frustrating, isn’t it? But don’t let your hopes die. Instead, you will have to read this article on and overcome the issue for good.
Besides, you can click here to find out how to fix The File or Directory is Corrupted and Unreadable easily.
How to remove GPT protective partition?
Removing GPT protective partition can be solved using several methods. You can either consider a built-in tool or a third-party tool to accomplish this mission. Each of these methods has its own characteristics so you should go through them thoroughly before trying.
01. Using Diskpart
As we mentioned, you can choose an either built-in or third-party tool to remove GPT protective partition. First, let’s discuss the built-in method – Diskpart. One of the most significant benefits associated with this method is that it doesn’t cost any money. That is because it comes as a default tool in Windows OS. As long as you don’t want to pay anything and resolve GPT protective partition, Diskpart is a good option.
Now, let’s take a look at the steps to take in order to repair GPT protective partition with Diskpart.
- Right-click on the option called ‘This PC‘ or ‘Computer‘ icon depending on the Windows version. Then, you will have to select the option called ‘Manage‘ from the appearing popup menu.
- Now, you should locate the disk that shows the error GPT protective partition. At this stage, you must remember the name of the drive correctly to avoid potential mistakes. You can even write it down on a piece of paper if required.
- Open up the search box in your computer (by hitting Windows + X key on Windows 10). This method might differ slightly depending on the version of the OS you are using.
- Now, in the search box, just key in the text ‘CMD‘ and hit enter. Be sure that you run it in Administrator mode.
- In the Command Prompt window, you should key in the text ‘Diskpart‘ and hit ‘Enter‘ key.
- You should now type the commands mentioned below without making even a single mistake. Please make sure that you hit the ‘Enter‘ key after typing each line mentioned below.
- list disk
- select disk n (n is the disk number)
- convert MBR
As we are aware, Diskpart should work in most of the cases. Even we have tried with different computers, and it worked for us despite the quite lengthy process followed. However, we don’t guarantee that it works all the time and give 100% positive results. Just like with any other built-in tool, diskpar can fail to do what it is supposed to do too. If that is the case with you as well, you may have to try a different method. Anyways, it is always better to try Diskpart after experiencing GPT protective partition error because it is totally free.
02. Use EaseUS Partition Master to overcome GPT protective partition
Many users prefer trying the free, built-in tool to overcome GPT protective partition and get it working again. However, as mentioned before, diskpart can fail on many occasions. In that case, you will have to use a professional tool. This is exactly when you will have to rely on EaseUS Partition Manager. It is a reliable and fast tool that comprises of various features. The best thing about EaseUS Partition Manager is that it rectifies the error without causing any data loss. Mentioned below is the step-by-step guide to overcome this issue using EaseUS Partition Master.
- First of all, download and install EaseUS Partition Master on the faulty computer.
- Now, perform a right-click on the disk where GPT protective partition error appears. You will now see a list of options. Choose the option called ‘Convert to MBR.’ Then, you will be able to see that an operation is pending.
- Then, click on the option called ‘Execute Operation.’ It can be seen as a button at the top-left corner.
- As the next step, you should click on the ‘Apply‘ option. Then, the software will start to convert GPT disk into MBR. You don’t need to worry about the data stored in the respective disk because it doesn’t cause data loss.
Compared to Diskpart, EaseUS Partition Master is a pretty convenient method. It comes with a very friendly interface, so you don’t need to use any commands. Instead, you can enjoy the graphical user-interface and resolve the issue easily.