Even though iOS devices feature convincing performance, they tend to experience some troubles at least on an occasional basis. ‘Could not activate cellular data network‘ is one of those issues experienced by a considerable number of iPhone users. Well, this article is just for you if you have experienced such an issue in your iOS device lately. So, read this article on.
Important: Don’t forget to create a backup of your data
We strongly recommend you to create a backup of your existing data before performing any fix on your iPhone. Such an approach minimizes the risk of losing your data if something goes wrong, by any chance. Backups become really important, particularly in the event of restoring your iPhone after a serious fix. So, don’t forget to backup your data before trying any fix on your device.
PART 1: What are the quick fixes to ‘could not activate cellular data network’ on the iPhone?
Before moving into advanced solutions, it is always better to try some quick and basic fixes on the device. Mentioned below are some of the quick fixes you can try. If you are lucky enough, these quick fixes might solve the issue without much trouble.
Quick Fix 01 for ‘Could not activate cellular data network‘
- First, you should go to the ‘Settings’ app and select ‘Cellular.’
- Then, tap on the ‘Cellular Data’ switch and turn it off.
- Go back to the home screen and wait for about 30 seconds.
- Now, go to the ‘Settings’ app and select ‘Cellular.’
- Go to ‘Cellular Data’ and turn it on.
Quick Fix 02 for ‘Could not activate cellular data network‘
- First, turn off LTE settings of the device. To do this, you should go to the ‘Settings’ app and select ‘Mobile’> ‘Mobile Data Options’ and ‘Enable/Disable LTE.’
Quick Fix 03 for ‘Could not activate cellular data network‘
- Connect your iOS device to a trusted Wi-Fi network and wait for about 30 seconds.
Quick Fix 04 for ‘Could not activate cellular data network‘
Perform a restart on your iOS device.
- If you are using iOS 11 or newer version, go to Settings, General and select ‘Shut Down.’
- For iPhone 8 or earlier, press and hold the Top/Side button to see the slider. Then, drag it to turn off the device. Once the device is turned off, press the same button once again to see the Apple logo.
- For iPhone X, press and hold Side button with the Volume up or down button. Once the slider appears, just drag it to turn off the device. Press and hold the side button to see the Apple logo.
- Press and hold the Side button and either volume button until the slider appears
- To force restart an iPhone X, 8 or 8 Plus, press and release the Volume Up button. Then, do the same with the Volume Down button as well. After that, press and hold the Side button to see the Apple Logo.
- To force restart an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus, press Side and Volume Down buttons simultaneously. Hold these buttons for about 10 seconds.
- For iPhone 6S and older versions, you should press and hold Home and Top/Side buttons simultaneously. Hold these buttons for about seconds to see the Apple logo.
PART 2: Use dr.fone – Repair (iOS) to repair ‘Could not activate cellular data network’ (Recommended Method)
If the fixes mentioned in PART 01 didn’t work for you, you might need an advanced solution. However, the term ‘Advanced’ doesn’t mean that you have to be tech-savvy. Instead, you can simply use a sophisticated tool like dr.fone – Repair (iOS) to repair your iOS device. This tool can address a variety of issues related to iOS device but not just one issue. For instance, it fixes issues like White Screen, Black Screen, Apple Logo, Stuck on Recovery Mode, Restart Loop, etc. The most important thing about this tool is that it doesn’t cause any data loss.
In this part of the article, we will explain how to repair your iOS device using Dr.Fone – Repair (iOS).
Important: Please note that dr.fone – Repair (iOS) will install the latest iOS version will be installed on your iOS device. If the device is jailbroken, Dr.Fone will bring the device back to non-jailbroken status. Also, if the device is unlocked, it will be locked again with this software after the repairing process.
Before start repairing your iOS device, it is mandatory that you should download Dr.Fone – Repair (iOS).
Option 1: Use Standard Mode to fix your iOS device
Standard Mode of the dr.fone – Repair (iOS) is the first option we are going to introduce. With this option, you can repair your iOS device without experiencing any data loss. Follow the steps mentioned below in order to address ‘could not activate cellular data network’ issue.
1) First, launch Dr.Fone and select the option ‘Repair’ from its main window.
2) Now, you should get your iOS device connected to the same computer using the lightning cable. Dr.Fone will detect your device, and then you should choose Standard Mode. Please note that Standard Mode is capable of fixing all the devices without causing data loss. However, the ‘Advanced Mode’ will erase the existing data. Therefore, we strongly suggest you try ‘Advanced Mode’ if ‘Standard Mode’ fails to repair the device.
3) Now, the tool will detect the model of the iOS device. It will also display the available iOS versions for the device. Now, select the version and hit ‘Start.’
4) The firmware will be downloaded and please note that it will take some time.
5) At the completion of the download, the program itself will start verifying the firmware.
6) After the verification process is completed, you can simply click on ‘Fix Now.’
7) The device will be repaired within a couple of minutes. Let the device rest until the repairing process is completed. Once the device is restarted, you will be able to use it.
Option 2: Fix iOS System issues using ‘Advanced Mode.’
If the previous option doesn’t work for you, you should try ‘Advanced Mode’ which causes data loss. In fact, ‘Advanced Mode’ is the method you should try in order to fix serious issues of the OS. Mentioned below are the steps to follow in ‘Advanced Mode.’
1) Click on the option ‘Advanced Mode’ instead of the ‘Standard Mode.’ Make sure that your iOS device is connected to the computer.
2) Now, the device’s model information will be detected by the program just like it was in ‘Standard Mode.’ Select the firmware and then click on ‘Start’ to download the appropriate firmware. Instead, you can simply click on the ‘Download’ option to get it done in a flexible manner. Then, click on the option ‘Select’ after the downloading takes place.
3) At the completion of the download and verification process, hit ‘Fix Now.’
4) Now, the software will run the repairing process in the iOS device you use.
5) At the completion of the repairing process, you will see that the device restarts. It should work properly now.
Option 3: Fixing iOS device once it is not recognized.
If the iOS device cannot be recognized by the PC, dr.fone – Repair (iOS) will display a separate message. It says ‘Device is connected but not recognized.’ In that case, you will have to put your device in DFU/RECOVERY mode before fixing it. Mentioned below are the steps to be taken in order to put your device in DFU/Recovery mode. As an example, we emphasize the process with the iPhone 8.
Recovery mode for iPhone 8 and newer models
- Turn off the device and get it connected to the PC.
- Press the Volume Up button and release it quickly. Do the same with the Volume Down button as well.
- Then, press the Side button and hold it to see ‘Connect to iTunes’ screen.
DFU mode for iPhone 8 and newer models
- Connect your iOS device to PC.
- Quick press Volume Up button and do the same with Volume Down button as well.
- Press and hold the Side button to see the black screen.
- Keep pressing the Side button and press Volume Down button for 5 seconds.
- Let the Side button go but keep the Volume Down button pressed. Now, the screen will remain in black if you have activated the DFU mode.
- After booting your device in Recovery/DFU mode, go to the repairing process either through ‘Advanced’ or ‘Standard’ mode.
Option 4: How to exit recovery mode easily (this is a free service by Dr.Fone – Repair (iOS))
If your iOS device is stuck on the recovery mode by any chance, follow the steps below.
1) Open dr.fone – Repair (iOS) and choose ‘Repair’ from the home screen.
2) Connect the device to the computer and select ‘iOS Repair.’
3) Then, go to ‘Exit Recovery Mode.’
4) You will see a new window with a large iPhone icon. Click on the button ‘Exit Recovery Mode.’
5) Now, your iOS device will be out from the recovery mode in a flash.
PART 3: Reset the network settings
This is another basic fix that may work for some users. Mentioned below are the steps to do it.
- Go to the ‘Settings’ app.
- Go to ‘General’ and select ‘Reset.’ Tap on the option called ‘Reset Network Settings.’
- When prompted, provide the password to proceed.
- At the completion of the process, restart the iOS device, and connect to the data network.
PART 4: See if there is a Carrier Settings Update
In certain cases, ‘Could not activate cellular data network’ issue might occur due to carrier settings issue. In that case, you should update the carrier settings manually. Follow the steps mentioned below to get it done.
Connect the device to your Wi-Fi network as the first step,
- Go to the ‘Settings’ app and select ‘General.’ Then, select the ‘About’ option as well. If there is an update, you will see the notification now.
- To confirm the carrier settings, go to ‘Settings’ and select ‘General.’ Then, go to ‘About’ and select ‘Carrier.’
Removing and reinserting your SIM card is another handy method to check the carrier connection.
So, you can try to re-insert your SIM card to get the carrier connection refreshed. Also, if you are using a new SIM card, make sure that the carrier settings are downloaded properly.
PART 5: Perform a factory reset
If none of the above solutions work, you should go for a factory reset. In fact, you should consider this solution as a last resort. This method will erase all the data (including personal information as well as network settings). Therefore, we strongly suggest you create a backup of your data before performing this method. Here’s how to do it.
1) Go to ‘Settings’ and select ‘General.’ Go to ‘Reset’ and choose ‘Reset All Content and Settings.’
2) At the completion of the process, your device will restart.
3) Go to ‘Set Up Your Device’ on the main screen.
4) Select ‘Restore from iCloud Backup.’
5) Provide the Apple account credentials to access the backup files and restore the data.
6) Connect the iPhone to your computer and open iTunes.
7) Select the ‘Summary’ tab and go to ‘Restore Backup.’
At least one of the above solutions should fix ‘could not activate cellular data network’ issue. However, if the issue is persisting, we recommend you to contact Apple Support as the only solution left. Also, you can try the best fix for cellular network not available problem.