Windows 10 is supposed to run pretty smoothly without much hassle. However, occasional errors can come up with it just like with any other software exist in the real world. One of those issues is ‘can’t adjust brightness on Windows 10,’ and a considerable number of users have experienced it. This issue can particularly appear in the systems that are recently upgraded to Windows 10. As a result of this issue, you will not be able to adjust screen brightness in your Windows PC. In other words, the brightness settings of your computer will not be functional.
What does ‘can’t adjust brightness on Windows 10’ actually mean?
Whey you adjust the brightness through Windows Settings, nothing can be changed because of this error. When you drag the brightness slider up or down, nothing will be changed, and the brightness will remain the same. Even if you try to adjust the brightness of your computer through brightness keys through the keyboard, nothing will happen. But, on the screen, you will see that the brightness level is moving up and down pretty smoothly. Whatever the cause is, it can be pretty annoying when you can’t adjust brightness on Windows 10.
How to fix ‘Can’t Adjust Brightness on Windows 10’?
As a matter of fact, can’t adjust brightness on Windows 10 is a pretty common bug. Many users across the globe have experienced this issue and complain about it. In fact, this issue can trigger because of an incompatible display driver or a corrupted display driver. However, the good news is that this issue is not very complicated to be resolved. If you are annoyed by this issue and looking for a fix, mentioned below are the fixes to it. Even if you haven’t experienced the same yet, knowing the solutions in advance would be handy as a preparation. In fact, we present 05 fixes to resolve this issue. We strongly believe that one of those methods will get you out of the trouble.
01. Update the display adapter drivers
One of the most effective and ‘must-try’ solutions to this issue is updating the display adapter drivers. As we have noticed, the majority of the systems doesn’t allow users to change brightness due to driver issues. So, getting the drivers updated should be the solution for most of the users.
When it comes to updating drivers, there are two options in front of you: manual update and automatic update. It is needless to say that the manual update requires more effort and time compared to automatic update. Also, when you update the drivers manually, there may be a chance to download drives from insecure sources. Also, manual download can make you install wrong versions of the drivers that can do no good. When you have to update a large number of drivers, you are likely to find it pretty difficult and annoying. In that case, the best option would be to use a tool that allows automatic updates. However, we explain both the methods (how to update display adapter drivers manually and automatically) for your reference.
- Launch Device Manager on your computer. To do that, you can press ‘Windows‘ key and ‘R‘ key simultaneously on the keyboard. Once the ‘Run’ dialog box appears, you should key in ‘devmgmt.msc.’
- Now that the ‘Device Manager‘ window is opened, you should expand the option labeled ‘Display adapters.’ Then, right-click on your graphics card (mentioned by its brand name). You will see a popup now and choose ‘Update Driver‘ from the respective popup menu. Please note that the name of the graphics adapter can vary from one system to another.
- Now, you can click on search automatically for updated driver software. Then, allow the driver to be installed automatically.
- You can reboot your computer now to see if the respective issue is solved.
- If it doesn’t work, you can choose the ‘Update Driver‘ option once again. After that, you can click on ‘Browse my computer for driver software.’
- Then, click on the option called ‘Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.’ It is located towards the bottom of the screen.
- In the list that appears now, you can choose ‘Microsoft Basic Display Adapter‘ and click on ‘Next.’
- Be patient while it gets installed the display driver from Microsoft. Then, you should reboot the PC so the changes will be saved.
Automatic update through Driver Easy
If you prefer a more convenient method to update your drivers instead of the manual method, here’s the best method. This method can save you plenty of time. In fact, to update drivers automatically, you will have to seek the assistance of Driver Easy. Well, Driver Easy is a professional tool that can help you update all the drivers in your computer conveniently.
If you use Driver Easy, you can update all the drivers with a single click. Nevertheless, if you use the free version of Driver Easy, you can update the drivers one by one. To update all the drivers automatically, you should go for the Pro version of Driver Easy.
Regardless of the version you use, Driver Easy will download drivers only from trusted sources. Meaning, the drivers you install will be free from malware.
With that said, you can consider using any of the two we have mentioned above and update the display driver.
If none of those two works, you can simply proceed to the next solution.
02. Enable Generic PnP Monitor to Fix ‘Can’t Adjust Brightness on Windows 10’
If updating drivers doesn’t work for you and the issue still persists, you should enable Generic PnP Monitor. To do this, you can follow the steps mentioned below.
- Launch ‘Run‘ dialog box on your computer using the combination ‘Window‘ key and ‘R‘ key. Then, enter the text devmgmt.msc and hit ‘Enter‘ key on the keyboard. You will now open a window labeled ‘Device Manager‘.
- On the ‘Device Manager‘ option, you can find an option called ‘Monitors‘. Expand the monitor and right-click on the option called ‘Generic PnP Monitor.’ After that, you should click on the option called ‘Enable.’
- Now, you should reboot the computer so the changes you made will be saved. In most of the cases, this solution will rectify the issue and get the brightness adjustments working again.
03. Update the driver of Generic PnP Monitor
If the issue is yet to be resolved, you should try updating the driver of Generic PnP Monitor.
- To do that, you should first open the ‘Device Manager‘ window. As you already know, you can use the combination of ‘Windows‘ and ‘R‘ keys to do that.
- Now, click on ‘Monitors‘ and expand to see the options. Then, perform a right-click on the option called ‘Generic PnP Monitor.’ You can choose ‘Update Driver‘ to update its driver.
- If not, you can choose the option ‘Browse my computer for driver software‘. Click on the option called ‘Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer‘.
- Choose the option called ‘Generic PnP Monitor‘ and choose ‘Next.’
- Reboot the computer so the changes you have made will be saved.
- Note: Please note that Generic PnP Monitor too can be updated easily using Driver Easy.
04. Delete if there are any devices under PnP Monitors
If the previous method doesn’t work, you should try deleting the devices under PnP Monitors.
- Launch ‘Device Manager‘ window and go to the ‘View‘ menu.
- Then, choose the option ‘Show Hidden Devices‘.
- Now, perform a right-click on each and every hidden device that comes under ‘Monitors‘ and choose ‘Uninstall Device.’
- Repeat the process until you delete all the hidden devices that are listed under ‘Monitors.’
- Reboot to save the changes you have made.
Now, ‘can’t adjust brightness on Windows 10‘ might have been fixed.
05. Workaround the issue to fix ‘Can’t Adjust Brightness on Windows 10’
If you are still unable to find a solution, you should work around the issue.
- First, right-click on the ‘Power‘ icon and go to ‘Power Options‘.
- Click on the option called ‘Change Plan Settings‘.
- Click on ‘Change Advanced Power Settings‘.
- Expand the option called ‘Display.’
- Click on ‘Display brightness‘, ‘Dimmed display brightness‘ and ‘Enable adaptive brightness.’
- Change the parameters and click on ‘Apply.’
- Reboot the PC so you can save the changes