Sending text messages is a huge part of our lives. Some of us literally spend hours of our days replying to text messages and sending pictures to our friends, which is why it’s important that you know how to backup messages on iPhone X and iPhone 8.
Your text messages might contain important information that your friend has sent you, a homework assignment that you need to remember, or perhaps they just have sentimental value to you. Regardless of what your text messages include it’s important that you take regular backups of them and if you don’t want to back up all of your device’s data, you are able to back up only your messages. Also, you may want to know some professional anonymous texting apps & how to use iMessage on PC.
Using iMyFone iTransor to Backup Messages on iPhone X & iPhone 8
The program that we are going to use in this article is iMyFone D-Port Pro. There is no other program that you can use for only backing up your text message, and on top of that, there are a lot of other features included in this program.
Not only can you selectively backup messages on iPhone X & iPhone 8 but you are also able to export data from a backup and restore backups too.
How to Backup Messages on iPhone X step by step
In this first method that we are going to be explaining to you, we are going to show you how you can backup messages on iPhone X using iMyFone D-Port Pro. This is a quick and easy method to use, and after following the steps below, you’ll have a copy of your messages saved on your computer safely.
Step #1 – Start by downloading iMyFone iTransor on your computer and installing it as instructed.
Step #2 – Connect your iPhone 8 or iPhone X using a lightning cable and launch the program to begin.
Step #3 – Once the program has loaded, click on the “Back Up & Export from Device” tab from the left panel, and click on “Back Up Messages”.
Step #4 – You’ll be shown some basic information about the process and after reading this information, click on “Back Up” to proceed.
Step #5 – Once the program has taken a backup of all of your messages, click the “OK” button and you’re good to go!
As you can see from the steps above, using iMyFone D-Port Pro isn’t difficult to use, and after following these steps, you’ll have a rough idea of how this program works. Also, it can help you to backup Whatsapp messages on iPhone 8 & iPhone X in the same easy way.
How to Restore Messages to iPhone 8 and iPhone X
In this next method, we’ll be focusing on restoring messages from a backup that you have taken. If your iPhone resets after updating the iOS or you lose your iPhone, then you can use this method to restore your text messages to your new iPhone.
Step #1 – Download and install iMyFone D-Port Pro, if it isn’t already installed, and launch it on your computer.
Step #2 – Connect your iPhone 8 or iPhone X using the appropriate USB cable.
Step #3 – On the program, click on the “Restore Backup to Device” tab from the left menu.
Step #4 – You will be shown a list of every backup that you have taken using iTunes or iMyFone D-Port Pro. Select the most recent backup that you have taken or the backup which contains the messages that you want to have restored. Click “Next” to proceed.
Step #5 – On the following menu, click on “Restore Partial Backup” to continue.
Step #6 – Next, you’ll be shown the different types of messages that the program can restore for you. Select the specific data types that you want to be restored, or click on “Select all”, and click “Next”.
Step #7 – The backup will now be scanned to detect the relevant data. Browse through the detected data and select the specific messages that you want to have restored.
Note: if you want to have all of the messages that are shown restored to your iPhone, click on the “Select All” box at the top of the display.
Step #8 – Lastly, click on the “Restore” button at the bottom-right of the program and within a few minutes, your text messages will be available on your iPhone.
The only thing that you should keep in mind is that if you haven’t taken a backup of your text messages in the past, then you won’t be able to restore them from a backup. For that reason, it’s important that you take regular backups.
More About iMyFone iTransor (formerly name: D-Port Pro)
Now that we have shown you how to backup messages on iPhone X and how you can restore that backup, we are going to discuss some of the other features that are included in iMyFone D-Port Pro.
- Restore iCloud Backup. If you previously used iCloud to take your backups, then you can use iMyFone D-Port Pro to download your iCloud backup, view the data which is stored in it, and selectively restore data from your iCloud backup to your iPhone.
- Selectively Restore Messages. If you are looking for a specific message that is stored in one of your backups, then you can preview the backup before it’s restored and select the specific message that you want to have restored to your iPhone.
- Export Data from Backup to PC. This is another incredibly useful feature that allows you to get data from an iPhone backup without restoring it to your iPhone but instead to your PC. If you want to upload a lot of photos that you took on vacation or that you found while browsing your backups, this is the easiest way to do so.
If you didn’t download the program before then, you should make sure that you go ahead and download it now to get access to all of the features that we’ve mentioned so far, and many others too.
Why You Shouldn’t Use iTunes or iCloud
iTunes and iCloud come with some useful features, there’s no doubting that. However, when you’re looking to backup messages on iPhone 8, neither of these services are ideal due to the limitations that there are to them.
- When you use iTunes or iCloud to backup and restore backups, you aren’t able to handle your data selectively. This means that all of the data inside of the backup is backed up or restored which takes up unnecessary storage space and takes up a lot of your time.
- After taking a backup of your iPhone’s data with iTunes, the previous backup that you had taken will be overwritten and will no longer be accessible (unlike iMyFone D-Port Pro where all of your backups are stored until you choose to delete them).
- You cannot preview the data that you are backing up or restoring. This can lead to you having unnecessary data restored to your iPhone which as a result, would overwrite existing data.
- If you aren’t connected to the internet, then you aren’t able to use the iCloud service. This means that if you need to restore a backup from iCloud, but your iPhone isn’t connected to Wi-Fi, you can’t have it restored.
- iCloud’s storage space is limited to 5GB and considering that a lot of iOS users have a 16GB iPhone or more, you can fill that storage space up very quickly. If you want more storage space on iCloud, then you have to purchase an iCloud subscription.
All in all, using iMyFone D-Port Pro (formerly name: iMyfone D-Port Pro) is the best way for you to backup messages on iPhone X, as well as Backup WhatsApp Messages on iPhone 8 & iPhone X, and as you can see from our explanation above, you should avoid using iTunes or iCloud. There are a lot of benefits to using iMyFone D-Port Pro as an iTunes alternative such as being able to selectively back up your data and getting access to a wide range of features that iTunes doesn’t offer. The bottom line is that iTunes and iCloud are not optimal options and if you have access to it, using iMyFone D-Port Pro is the best choice.